View Single Post
Old 06-03-2021, 07:10 AM   #14
Tim Ayers

Default Re: aluminum flathead?

I think we need to remember the time frame this was all happening. MCF had some serious momentum going when the first nostalgia wave hit in the '90's. It got a further bump from magazine (remember them?) coverage and Tim Allen from Home Improvement fame had a roadster with a MCF in it on the show.

There was some serious buzz around MCF at the time and I know of three guys that bought motors from Kirby in the '90's. The cost then was $8,500 and up. At the time, Kirby had a wait list to build motors for customers.

In my opinion, Kirby came too early for this products to really make an market impact. I believe if MCF was around today, they would be as big as H&H.

Mike @ H&H sells plenty of Scot blower kits at $8,000 and Ardun head kits at over $10K. There is still a market for high dollar stuff. Albeit a limited market, but there are some deep pockets in this hobby and these folks aren't afraid to spend it.

There is a company now that is reproducing Frenzel blower kits as well. People still want this stuff.

Now, could an aluminum flathead engine that using unique parts sell if it was introduced today? I'm not sure. It would sure be neat to find out.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 06-03-2021 at 07:52 AM.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote