View Single Post
Old 05-07-2014, 03:41 AM   #9
Dannerr

Default Re: New to Model A's

Hi MJay.

I'm the owner of a '30 Tudor, and 7 years in, I'm still a newbie. But as most already told you, become a member of a local model A's club. I myself are a member of Danish Ford A Club (Dansk Ford A Klub), and as late as last night, I got tipped on how to change wheel bolts. If you're settled on the A, I can recommend to buy a set of how-to books (I use Les Andrews' Model A Mechanics Handbook vol 1, it's almost worn out by now! Doesn't cover the speedo, though).

But back to your question: What to look for? Everything, but...
Wear in steering components (does the wheels turn, when your turning the steering wheel?), wear of king pins (grab the front wheels and pull outwards, it shouldn't move, then pos. 1 should be changed- mine does now! ), simmilar to the rear, corrosion in general; but especially of the frame in the battery area are said to be bad, and bring a magnet! My roof panels were changed to fiberglass! Engine shouldn't make (too much) noise, especially no clinks og clonks! Search youtube for model A engines running, the smoother, the better. Neither engine, gearbox or rear axle should leak oil, bring white paper and wipe the bottom of them off, to be sure! Make sure, the generator works- turn up the amps on it, and see, if the amp-meter in the dashboard moves.
Guess that's most of, what I look for nowadays. Hope this helps just a bit. Probably forgot alot!

Good luck, and good hunting!

Last edited by Dannerr; 05-07-2014 at 03:42 AM. Reason: misspelling
Dannerr is offline   Reply With Quote