View Single Post
Old 11-11-2019, 02:11 AM   #95
Karl

Default Re: Interest in new restoration project thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
You're funny! And probably a lot more (mentally) healthy
Me? I can't leave any of them alone. Every one must be perfect! No doubt, it's a bit of a sickness. I'm okay with that!
You guys Stateside are so lucky compared with Mart and I . You have a lot more access to correct parts than we do. In my case 12000 miles of shipping really whacks up the restoration costs. I have spend a lot of money making my cars look right but a fine points guy would spot many things wrong with all of them. For example on my Model A the generator looks correct but is 6 months younger than my car-Getting the correct generator out of the States is feasible but not economically viable when only one person in 10,000 here would identify it as correct.

The distance means that our cars often don't follow the accepted time lines any way. My 1934 Fordor was registered in New Zealand In April 1934 but was probably assembled Stateside in Jan 1934 It has a combination of 33 and 34 Parts on it from new.

Due to our isolation and hence cost of new parts our cars have often been kept going with Farmers fixes over the years rather than expensive genuine parts . This again complicates restoration.

For the above reasons Fine point judging doesn't really exist over here. I wish it did -but then I'd be to scared to drive them

In short do you need any aging car mad Doctors in the States LOL !