View Single Post
Old 10-19-2019, 03:09 PM   #5
GOSFAST

Default Re: 8BA Rear Cam Brg Oil Supply??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
Thats exactly correct the rear cam bearing sees the oil that fills the rear idler gear chamber.
Ronnieroadster
Hi Ronnie, thanks, now that I have a cam nearby (I didn't have one when I initially posted) I can see that's absolutely how it gets oiled!

If I get time I'm going to try to modify the oiling to the rear cam brg anyway.

Getting the oil supplied there thru the main oil galley is relatively easy, not sure why it was ever designed the way it is now? As long as the fuel pump rod is not in the program it's very easy!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. On a side note here for many who believe the cam brgs play a very small role in the overall oil pressure I can tell you this, we've gone to the lengths of coating the cam brgs to "tighten" them up some! Just stripped a 255" Merc in relatively nice shape, but here's the issue, the brg clearance as it is now measures .004"+. It's a combination of the brg "wear" (in this instance is not all that bad really) and the fact that every journal is on the "low", this is the OEM Merc cam. I have other original ones here and almost all are the same size, on the "low" side. This makes for the add'l clearance between the brgs and the journals. We like to send them down the road with about .002", but no more than .0025". All the aftermarket cams I have here now are actually on the "high" side of the dimension, this helps, the "Teflon" coating helps more still if needed, we can tighten it up another .0005"/.0007" with no problem!
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote