View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 05:05 PM   #16
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: PROPER Frame Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mason View Post
Brent, my experiments with asphaltum (diffent than asphalt) showed that the coating was water thin, and had almost zero build up. The mix I made for the carb also has amber, and rosin in it. When looking square on it is dead flat, but any angled viewing shows a moderate gloss...fwiw,jm
That is fine Jim as it is possible my mixture was not the same as yours however I think both of us could make a valid argument that each of us are correct in our expectations. The 3rd paragraph down on page 16 in the Paint & Refinish Guide (3rd Edition) makes clear reference of this.

Ron, just like preparing a meal, every cook has their own way of baking the casserole. I personally prefer a smooth finish to apply powder to. IMPO, if it is top quality powder and the powder has been finely milled, it will flow into those tiny cracks & crevises to "latch on". Many industrial items are steel fresh from the mill that only receive a degreasing prior to applying powder. Those items hold up well, even in harsh environments. Something else to consider. Applying powdered paint to a piece of tin foil and then doing a cure will cause someone to really work at pealing it off. If the surface of tin foil is that smooth and yet the paint is still able to "tooth", imagine when it is applied to a slightly more aggressive surface.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote