View Single Post
Old 05-16-2019, 01:46 PM   #581
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Hi Jemelton.

The location where I operated for years was the Murray region of the Riverina. Many farms were established following world war 1 by subdividing large properties into 640 acre blocks ie 1 square mile. These were provided with incentives to returning soldiers. Over the years many have been bought by neighbours thus many are double. This is fairly intense. An irrigation scheme was built which allowed farmers to grow summer crops in our dry and unreliable climate. Each farm supports at least 1 resident so the farming community is fairly intense. There is no average crop size, they do vary from 50 to 300 acres. One just can’t avoid flying over houses even though myself and other pilots give due consideration. The farming community understand. We were a utility service to farming and I can well say we are held in high regard. On farms that is, not necessarily in towns where there are school teachers and some others with antagonistic attitudes. They seem to think we were poisoning humanity even when sowing rice or spreading fertilizer.
Radial engine aeroplanes are very noisy and attract attention. Pilots are conscience of this and considerate. In 1993 I purchased a turbine (PT6) powered Airtractor which is a much quieter aeroplane and this gave all including pilots more comfort. The price in dollars was 3 times the purchase price of a Grumman AgCat. Expensive. I might add that it came without creature comforts. It was not until the late 90’s I ever got to fly an aeroplane with either an aircon or heater.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote