View Single Post
Old 01-30-2021, 07:59 PM   #18
Patrick brophy

Default Re: Brake Frustration

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
Are you looking for 'factory original' wheels for a '57 T-Bird, or reproductions? The off-set & backspace options are very limited for clearing the ball joints in the front (photo 1) and fender skirts in the rear. Especially if the rear suspension needs all new bushings for the leaf springs, along with re-arched or replacement leaf springs.

Some wheel info at this link...
https://www.ctci.org/wheel-info-1957/
"1957 Thunderbirds 14″ X 5″ Kelsey Hayes (K.H.) wheels, no slots, no rivets and welded centers, used with 14″ X 7.50 tires. The 14″ X 5″ KH wheel and 14″ X 7.50 tires wheels were use on 1957 Thunderbirds to enhance ball joint & skirt clearance."
Thanks dmsfrr,

I have replaced both the front and rear bushing when I painted the frame.

Regardless, I still need the 14x5 wheel.

I am not sure what the difference would be between the repro and the factory, besides the dollar amount when buying them.
I am sure there are some reproduction stuff out there that you don't want to buy,I am just not aware of who, and where they are.

I am going for my lungs with this restoration, I don't want to cut corners on a few wheels. I did put disc brakes on the car and was hoping that the disc had moved the wheels out just enough. It did not.
Patrick brophy is offline   Reply With Quote