View Single Post
Old 04-28-2020, 08:53 PM   #7
Benson

Default Re: Poor quality transmission roller bearings

NOTE: I have seen both types of roller bearings discussed above fail. These bearings happen to be ones with the pins on both ends of the rollers.

I deleted my information from this post on 06-10-20 because as mentioned in the post I could not find the photos.

Well I have found the original failed bearings and gears from the transmission that screamed VERY loud in second gear in less that 500 miles after rebuild with ALL new Mark gears.

Brand-new Mark gears in all positions:
Second slider was damaged along with the second gear position on cluster gear.

Teeth are badly pitted from all of the vibrations.

NO ... this transmission NEVER had any water inside it and 600W was always used. Never ANY STP or other Snake oil.

I have seen both types of roller bearings discussed above fail.

It appears to me that the steel used to make the bearing cages is soft OR maybe the rollers are tapered.
I will mic the rollers to see if they are tapered.

1. Soft steel cages problem is obvious as to what it causes.

2. Tapered rollers might cause rollers to move forward or backward and place pressure on soft roller cages.
I say this because not all rollers have worn into the cages.

3. I also found a possible problem with the REPRO spacer inside the cluster gear that I used.
Spacer may not be the cause but it could have contributed to the destruction of the bearing cages.

I am very busy at the shop trying to catch up so will post photos later when time allows.

Last edited by Benson; 06-26-2020 at 08:14 AM. Reason: I deleted post on 06-10-20 ... see this post
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote