View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 04:45 PM   #18
darrylkmc

Default Re: Spring fever anyone?

hardtimes,

The diminishing return for antifreeze solution is at about a 60/40 ratio, check this out:

Geophysical Institute, University of Alaska Fairbanks, in cooperation with the UAF research community. Larry Gedney is a seismologist at the Institute.

The following information was put out to due to numerous questions from customers who complained that a particular brand of antifreeze was no good because their engines had froze up at temperatures at or slightly above zero, let alone at temperatures that were below zero.

"Actually, this is to be expected when one considers that ethylene glycol, the principal component of most antifreezes, freezes at 8 degrees above zero, Fahrenheit. It is only when water is added that the freezing point is depressed. The freezing point of an ethylene glycol and water mixture drops rapidly as the concentration of glycol is increased to a mixture of about 60% antifreeze and 40% water. Around that point, an abrupt turnabout occurs, and as more antifreeze is added, the freezing point rises almost as fast as it had previously dropped."

I don't plan on driving my Phaeton much in the winter, if I do I may add an oil pan heater. My regular daily drivers have circulating or block heaters along with oil pan heaters.

I added a port on the side valve cover some years ago where I can check the oil pressure on this engine, I should throw a gauge on it one day and check the pressure. B's actually have pressure, as opposed to the A engine, not certain if this compounds the rear main leak problem.

Where in Alaska were you, what time of the year and what were the temperatures during your stay?

Darryl in Fairbanks
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote