View Single Post
Old 08-31-2019, 03:23 AM   #69
Mart

Default Re: Risk of using old (over 10 years) tires

This thread could very easily lead to a lot of falling out between forum members. We should all make up our minds if our particular rides are safe to a degree we are personally happy with, while considering all the arguments put forward.

My truck and roadster both have tyres in very good condition. Considering the usage, which is normally low speed pottering, with an occasional burst to higher speeds in the roadster, I am happy to continue to use them, despite them being older. They are inspected often and always inflated correctly. It should also be said they are all top quality brands and crossply (bias ply).

I bought a second hand family car this time last year. It had four tyres of mismatched brands. One had a slow puncture, one had age cracking, one was a winter tyre. I Put a brand new set of tyres on that one soon after purchase, and would probably do the same with any other modern car.

So lets not fall out, fellas, as old car enthusiasts we take a lot more care of our cars than most people.

Being aware of the condition and maintaining inflation is something was can all do, regardless of the age of the tyre. Even one fitted only last month may lose pressure due to a nail or faulty valve. So we must all be vigilant.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote