View Single Post
Old 09-16-2014, 08:46 AM   #30
Growley bear

Default Re: head gasket/6:1/mystery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtbird View Post
I think 180-190 is quite acceptable.

This still bothers me:
"The head was resurfaced twice before two gasket changes; it had a slight twist both times."

Assembly technique is always a possibility. You never really know what someone else does unless you are standing right there. It does seem like these guys know what they are doing, tho.

Have they ever had a problem getting a stock head to seal on any car?

I have to ask.

A related example was a guy at a paint and body seminar that Miles ran who had a problem with fish eye "no matter what he did"

Long story, we had to query him very closely to uncover what he was doing: he would clean his panels with lacquer thinner ( a no-no), then wash the lacquer thinner off with soap and water. Hmm, why would that give fish eye ?!

Please keep us posted we can all learn from this
The head/heads 6.0:1 with the twist were sent back to the vendor.
Bruce who went to the lion head and has had no trouble since owns a well equipped machine shop and is very meticulous person. He has been in the business for years and the quality of his work is first class.
Ed's engine has since been fitted with the 5.5 head with the Felpro copper gasket and copper coat. So far the head has been retorqued three times over 100 miles and no reported problems.
I will keep everyone updated on this. Thanks again for all the participation with this very interesting subject.
This has been and will continue to be a learning experience.

Chet
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote