View Single Post
Old 04-30-2015, 01:23 PM   #40
MikeK

Default Re: head gasket/6:1/mystery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtexas View Post
How good is the heat transfer with the waterless coolant? Water is better than anything. There is more to overheating than the boiling point of the coolant.
The specific heat of water is about 1.0008 Btu/lb per degree F @212F. The specific heat of waterless coolant (straight ethylene glycol) is about 0.67 Btu/lb per degree F @212F.

If your cooling system is marginal with water and sometimes runs ~200F, you need two things to maintain 200F with waterless: 1) Increased circulation volume to 'move' the same amount of heat away from the block at the same rate. 2) Increased radiator heat dissipation ability. How much more? About 49%.

If you increased your cooling system dissipation capacity you wouldn't need the waterless in the first place! Leaving all as is, placing waterless in that engine will result in it running ~230F at those times it ran 200F with water.

OK, it doesn't boil over with waterless. OK? I think not. Most people have the sense to stop when a boil-over occurs @212F. With waterless and no changes in either your pump rate or radiator capacity you would be running at 254F. Or maybe not- If your engine has standard piston clearances that reduce to near zero @212F, the waterless will give you no warning and you will just seize up.

I'm not much for embracing testimonials, especially from rich comedians with no engineering background. To me it's simple. Fix the problem, not the symptom.

If you want to try this stuff, go ahead. Just watch your temperature like a hawk, and do not think you can run @250F without engine damage. Also, expect it to always run hotter than with water or 50/50 (Sp.Gr. 0.88). Directly from Evans website "The operating temperature of the coolant may increase slightly" . . . Define "slightly".
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote