View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 11:03 PM   #7
SeaSlugs

Default Re: Just a little rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTube View Post
This is why I tell friends to buy good test equipment. I use a Fluke 179 and a Simpson 260 7P. Both are well over $200 each but come with quality test leads and connections.

Now I realize, I use my meters constantly not just for occasional troubleshooting on the "A", but you do get what you pay for. Price aside, I also keep all connections clean with Deoxit contact cleaner. Don't bother with other junk as it usually doesn't work.

I also recommend when you grab a multimeter always set it to ohms and short the leads. You should get almost a 0 ohm reading even if you move the leads around in the meter sockets. Then you know your leads are good to go and the meter is responding. If the meter jumps around when you twist the plugs in the sockets on the meter then fix it. Don't just twist them around until they seem to work, you'll end up sorry later.

Deoxit D5 : http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-D5S6-Deox...eywords=deoxit

They also have a formula which is designed for protecting contacts, comes in handy on the "A".
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...89202644&SID=1
Ding ding ding! AS one who deals with electrical troubleshooting in a factory (anythign from 5vdc signal wires to 600V ac and DC VERY important to have quality test equipment. i have a fluke 233 meter and every time i turn it on and im measuring something i turn it to ohms touch leads together and make sure it goes to zero. If i am testing 230 480 or 600V i always find a known hot 110V outlet and test its voltage to make sure the meter is reading correctly before touching the higher voltages. I dont ever want to believe the 600V is dead due to faulty meter readings and i go to touch it.

I have had broken meter leads before and instead of trying to fix them as the other is likely going to die soon i throw em out and get new ones (company pays for replacement leads).

Only once have i gotten lost on a faulty meter. Meter i had before this one was an off brand and i was measuring 110Vac output card and it was only showing 14Vac... thinking i had a bad output card i took a step back and thought a minute about the situation of where the heck is 14V coming from??? tested with a friends meter and his showed 110 like its supposed to. Hate breaking tools but that meter pissed me off and rather not get killed so i broke it and threw it away so noone else can go trash hunting and find it and get hurt.

i have more than my fair shre of those free with coupon harbor freight meters - while not the best they are useful to keep in a car toolbox. voltages are pretty accurate ive found (at least with car related stuff - not trusting for 110Vac) meter aint great but can at least tell you about blown fuses, open wires, shorted wires, stuck points, stuck relays, open condensers, shorted condensers, power to headlight sockets etc.

PS i love Tweco brand contact grease, meant for welding applications where a weld ground needs to rotate so its electrically conductive grease - works GREAT for keeping corrosion and water off grounds on a vehicle and those 1/4" spade conductors. it increases the conductivity a heck of alot.