View Single Post
Old 06-12-2019, 09:23 AM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: In search of correct Stainless Steel hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
JSerry, we have bantered about before on "strength" and "torque" questions before, has it ever actually been established just what strength the bolts were in these cars originally when they were built??? Not that much on these V8's could use something stronger than a standard Grade 2 bolt to do the job. I had always wanted to ask Roy Nacewicz what he had his fastener's manufactured to (as to grade) as I never did see any info pertaining to that??? Currently I use my lathe to "turn" the Grade markings & mill stamps off the heads of bolts in a pinch.
Good question, the original Ford bolts always seemed to be of a good quality to me, but no idea what they really were. Would assume the specifications would have called them out but never seen anyone report on them. You should be able to get somewhat of a clue using the original Ford torque recommendations. My issue with SS is I have broken a far share of them, enough to not be a fan. There is just not much yield before they snap. And they are a bit more difficult to remove once broken off. If someone likes the look, it should be fine as long as you keep that in mind.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote