View Single Post
Old 07-09-2019, 09:26 PM   #14
Admiral

Default Re: What have I done?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Yes Ralph, you have a good points. If time and money is available OP is "good to go". Plus, there's always the personal satisfaction of restoring your own car. It's a wonderful feeling of accomplishment.
However, just wanted OP to be aware that restoration costs today can surprisingly hit mega bucks (never to be recouped) in a heartbeat. That's why it's best to save up enough money to buy the best condition car you can afford at the outset. Resurrecting a rusted hulk with missing parts can be very expensive.

I wish the OP all the very best of success.
Thanks, 19Fordy! You certainly make valid points about buying one of these cars already completed. But for me it's as much about the journey as it is the destination.

Not that this Crestliner is some rotted-out hulk, it's actually very solid (rockers notwithstanding, though it did come with a pair of NOS replacement rockers so hooray for that!), but it's fun bringing an old car back to life. I have a decent skill set and shop space that enables me to do this without taking out a second mortgage. The '36 I restored was in far, Far, FAR worse shape than this shoebox. If I could get that thing roadworthy I can do practically anything!
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote