View Single Post
Old 09-24-2014, 07:37 AM   #20
Joe K

Default Re: Axial Play in Water Pump Shaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybronco1 View Post
Can the fan blade be removed with out removing the radiator and then install the collar it looks pretty tight in there?
Generally not due to the extended length of the pump shaft (which is nearly to the backside of the radiator.)

Although one might try to play a game of undoing (somehow) the upper radiator hose connection and prying the radiator forwards to gain additional clearance. You may end up with the radiator split in pieces though. An outright removal is probably best.

Of course if the radiator is removed - then one is free to install an "ultimate" pump which, which it's cartridge/forward bearing, needs no attention to free play (it's built in.) Or even do an extended shaft/cut down to fit pump rebuild.

In a lot of ways I consider the plastic donut a "temporary fix" - and one I might not normally choose to do on that account. But given a choice between driving and not driving - it would be an easy change of mind for me to install. And I would be encouraged by others success with this option.

Joe K