View Single Post
Old 05-19-2022, 09:23 AM   #7
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: 53 starter motor question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Leighton View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "starter plate". The motor bolts to the bell housing. I'll try to get some pictures this weekend. Iy could be that the bell housing isn't stock since the truck has a T-5 transmission and open drive shaft and that's where the clearance issue is coming from. It just seems like the starter gear is pulling in too close to the flywheel and the counterweight coller is hitting/rubbing on the flywheel. The only way I could think to correct that is if the starter shaft was a little longer to move the gear away from the flywheel. If the bell housing is isn't standard then that might position things a little closer than normal as well but nothing I can do about that.
There are two different 6 volt starter configurations from '51-'53, one for the automatic transmission and one for the standard transmission.

Either starter will work on 12 volts without being converted to 12 volts.
Until you can determine what parts you have and are attempting to make work, all you really have is a guessing game.