View Single Post
Old 09-10-2014, 02:35 PM   #98
Fordors

Default Re: Tell me this noise isn't what I'm afraid it is.

The heat checking on the pressure plate is localized between 6 and 9 o'clock and that leads me to believe that the finger at the 2 o'clock position in the photo was high. I agree that there was likely some oil contaminating that clutch assembly but even without that the clutch would chatter. Those fingers are forged and there is no way to adjust height so the machining had to be spot on, or the PP assembled, checked and disassembled and then subsequent machining or shimming to ensure a quality result for finger height. Fort Wayne might use those fingers again, but set it up right, or they may replace with adjustable levers.
Professor, the best thing you are doing here is using the services of a reputable, trusted automotive machinist to do this rebuild. I was glad to see you "took a pass" on the services of a guy who had volunteered to help. Maybe the cooch could have done the job but the guy you selected came with references. What do they say on the TV commercial? Pay me now or pay me later.