View Single Post
Old 02-04-2014, 03:18 PM   #4
Kube

Default Re: Leave It To Beaver...'36 Coupe'

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
Saw an episode of this old show the other day. His brother Wally bought a '36 Coupe' (thruout the show they pronounced it "Coo-pay", which I know is the proper pronounciation.) for $25. His father wanted it out of the driveway and he couldn't get it running, so he started selling parts off it. It looked like he sold about half of it for $37.50. Then paid a guy with a tow truck to haul off the rest for $15.
During the parts sale they showed a lot of flathead parts. At one point the fathers car was shown and I think it was a '61 Plymouth.
Does anyone remember if parts and complete cars were actually those prices at that time?..........Thanks, Mark
In the early 60's, yes, cars were THAT CHEAP. Remember, the old car hobby was not on too many folks "radar" and for the most part, old Fords, Chevy's, etc. were simply "old cars".
I started in this hobby on a "serious level" around 1970. At that time (for example) a guy could buy a NICE 40 coupe for $700. Didn't want a black one? Then go a few miles and buy the maroon one. They were all over the place back then for very reasonable prices.
Prices started to skyrocket around 1974. That $700 coupe in 1970 was now around $3000.
Prices continued to skyrocket through much of the 1970's, slowing down (but still escalating) throughout the 80's.