Thread: proper gearing
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2019, 08:48 AM   #9
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: proper gearing

One of the challenges is that it is hard to have it both ways ---> nice acceleration from stop signs, up hills, etc -- and good highway cruising speeds. I just went through this with my 32 Cab. It has a 284 cubic inch engine with plenty of power. With the stock 4.11 gears, I just didn't like the higher RPMs it required to cruise at 70 - 75 mph. So, I decided to do what everybody else does - put a set of 3.54 gears in it. Well, now it is not nearly as fun to drive around the back country roads - but it is nice on the open highway.

So, what to do??? Well, I don't want to cut the car up (floorpan, open drive, etc) and install a T5 overdrive trans, so the only option for this car is a Columbia rear. I will have fun 4.44 gears in it (for around my country roads) and when it goes into OD, it will be 3.15 - great for the highway.

I'd highly recommend putting an OD transmission into your car while you have it all apart! You'll then not have to change the rear gears and you'll have good highway gears.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote