View Single Post
Old 05-01-2019, 07:46 AM   #7
Joe K

Default Re: Install disconnect between 1 and 2, or 3 and 4?

The first consideration of a disconnect is security - you can leave the car open circuit and a thief of limited knowledge will need a tow truck to steal it.

The second consideration of a disconnect is protection from fire - if you suddenly have electrical problems you can reach down and hit the switch and remove the primary cause of fire.

I would consider the first rationale pretty incredible. Even if you leave the keys in the car most modern thieves would be hard put to even know how to start it. More than likely any potential thief today would bring a tow-dolly as his thievery tool of choice and carry the car off in the dark and covered by a tarp. No disconnect protects from that.

The second rational I would consider more credible - although 6V (or even 12V) isn't near the fire hazard that 120VAC is - but having a switch to disconnect might make fire-fighting efforts less restrained and more positive.

So I think I would put the switch within reach of the operator - or where an exiting operator might reach it quickly. Either 1 to 2 or 3 to 4 can accomplish this depending on the switch.

Joe K