View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #13
46ford

Default Re: cleaning sludge from inside engine

The stand should make things easy. My engine didn't leak at front or rear seal, so I just did the lower seals. Soak the rope in oil and press the front one in the channel in the oil pan. I'm not sure whether the truck engine has the cork rear seal or rope. If it's cork, that goes in the slot behind the main bearing cap on the motor. I used permatex to hold mine in place. I've never encountered the rope rear main seal. Mine is a 59A-B motor.

Check the rails on the pan where the gasket sits; you may want to dolly those flat if the bolt holes are puckered. I used the brown Permatex to tack my gasket to the pan, then put it up. My thinking is if I ever pull the pan I want the gasket to stay with the pan. Be especially careful of the portions of the gasket that go between the rear main and the flywheel, they are flimsy.

I used Phillips screw drivers in a couple of the holes to make sure the pan goes on straight. Slide it on and install the pan bolts starting at the mains and work in. Gently tighten. Over torquing just warps the pan and causes leaks.

Now get a soda or cold one and admire your work.
46ford is offline   Reply With Quote