View Single Post
Old 12-22-2014, 02:26 PM   #7
dmsfrr

Default Re: Radial tires and Wire basket hubcaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrys40 View Post
Yes I have the 205/75R15 coker classic whitewall radial tire on it. The hubcaps rub on the tire. The five clips I have on each wheel also dig into the side wall of the tire. I'm a little worried about that as time goes on even though the sidewalls are thick at the bead. The hubcap is not rubbing on the skirts on the rear.. as also the fronts do it as well. It's strictly the noise from rubbing on the rubber spacers on the clips and the outer edge of the hubcaps on the tire itself. I will try and post some photos tomorrow.
Any thoughts for a fix ?
Thanks,
Larry
Clips digging into the tire bead -
I've been known to squeeze them w/ pliers to keep them snug before putting them on the rim, let the air out of the tire and tapping them on as far as possible with a block of wood and hammer. New reproduction clips are available and might fit better than original ones, I don't know.
Hopefully the tires will 'age-out' about the same time(?) as digging into the bead is a problem.
Current recommendations are to not use tires over 8 yrs old on the highway. Think about the (rock hard) erasers on the old pencils in your desk drawer.

Hubcaps rubbing on the tires & rubber spacers on the clips - (plan 'A' ?)
At the hardware store get some of the 1/2 or 3/4 dia. by 1/8 in. thick self-stick replacement felt pads for the bottom of chair legs and stick them on each rubber clip spacer where it touches the back side of the wheel cover. You might need a dab of rubber cement on the spacer to help them stay in place longer.
With any luck you can put them on one at a time without having to pull the (PITA) wheel covers completely off. They will also move the wheel cover slightly farther from the sidewall of the tire, possibly far enough to not rub.
If a felt 'circle' shape will be too visible at the outer edge of the wheel cover use square ones or cut them to a better shape first.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 12-22-2014 at 05:25 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote