View Single Post
Old 08-17-2019, 08:19 PM   #3
Kube

Default Re: Grounding starter button issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hombres ruin View Post
I have a 41 coupe 6 V , at times the starter button grounds out and it all goes dead, once I re position the button it starts right up . The hole in the dash maybe a tad to big but the sides of the button fit creating that ground but at times it grounds out. I tried soldering a wire to the tabs on the switch then run it to the dash to ground but the solder will not adhere to that metal at all. I just got a new switch today. Any ideas on how I can keep a good ground. Thanks for your help
I solder a thin wire to the body of the starter button and connect the opposite end very discreetly to the body (NOT the dash) near by.
I have found this to be a huge help.
This little "trick" is especially helpful with a fresh restoration as the paint is thick everywhere - body, dash, etc.
If you are having trouble soldering, I suggest (respectfully) you have someone more experienced do this for you. Solder to the BODY of the switch, NOT the tabs.
The reproduction starter buttons are total garbage. I promise you will soon find that to be true.
Do yourself a favor and search out a NOS or NORS button.