View Single Post
Old 02-06-2020, 10:10 AM   #191
Kube

Default Re: Interest in new restoration project thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke3 View Post
So, how do you treat the small rust spots, spot sandblast or chemically?

I would also like to see more pictures of the tailpan and toolbox replacement. I have that repair to deal with on my '37 coupe.

Thanks for taking us along on this project.
Zeke,
First, the entire body gets (plastic) bead blasted. The pros of this method? NO warping and NO pitting of the sheet metal. The cons? It won't remove rust. On the plus side, it makes it that much easier to see even the smallest rust spot for proper repair / metal replacement.
I do some sand blasting. Areas like the gutters and other difficult areas to access.
I never use any chemical stripping agents on any part that has lapped sheet metal or other area(s) that may have the (remote) possibility the chemical may not be thoroughly cleansed. Too many times, I've seen chemicals come back to "haunt" an otherwise beautiful paint job. It can take years but it too often can have disastrous effects. In my opinion - why chance it?

I'll see what I can find for the tail pan R&R. I will strongly advise you to remove the old pan by spot facing ALL of the authentic spot welds and removing the lead at the factory seam. Also, only tack the new pan in place and fit both the trunk lid, the trunk latch and both rear fenders before committing to the pan's installation.
The pans I'd purchased from Drake many years ago were very nice and required very little to fit properly. The current pans on the market are "okay" at best and require some serious modification to fit the way I demand of my own work.

Last edited by Kube; 02-06-2020 at 10:16 AM.
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote