View Single Post
Old 08-13-2017, 05:20 AM   #6
G_Don

Talking Re: Tapped Steam Hole Plug Size Model B block

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
The issue down the road you are trying to avoid is that if you run a stock Model A head on a Model B block the holes will be too close to the edge of the gasket due to the shape of the combustion chamber and will probably leak. If you run a Model a Police head, a Model B head, or one of the aftermarket high compression heads that I have seen there is no problem and you can forget about closing the holes. I don't think I would ever build an engine and use a stock Model A head.

Charlie Stephens
So, if I were to run an aftermarket aluminum head (which I planned on doing) I could eliminate tapping and filling in the wholes altogether? Why is this? I don't really understand how this would eliminate the problem, but I'd love to know!!

I planned to run the original model A head at first, make sure it was running, and then switch an aftermarket head and some more banger speed equipment goodies after I could drive it down the road. If this will eliminate me tapping into the block, I'd prefer to just buy the head right off the bat (to save myself some work). I have a "Best Model B Gasket" I bought from Snyder's, if that helps.

The engine does appear to be a fresh rebuild, as the original owner who abandoned the project had claimed, but I'm not sure why the head gasket leaked (I assume he never re-torqued the head, OR he never plugged the steam holes w/ his copper model A head gasket). The pistons have "0.080" etched on them, so I'm assuming theyre bored out, and the engine was indeed recently rebuilt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post

The one 'tip' that I would give / do and did do...is to place a magnet around the drilled area. That way, I picked up ALL of the cut cast iron..easily. I was fortunate enough to have a DONUT shaped powerful magnet and it worked perfect. But, any magnet will do. My plugs were the 'pipe plug' shape/thread and tightened well the further screwed in. I used blue locktite also, but probably not needed. Good luck

BTW...sometimes I'm overly cautious. I also taped over the cyl holes with masking tape..your choice.
All the toolmakers at my work swear by the old magnet trick! I've seen tons of donut shaped magnets kicking around that guys use for drilling holes on machines. I'll definitely borrow one on Monday I'll probably also mask off the block as well cause I'm also overly cautious, unless I can get away with not tapping the steam holes with an aftermarket head.

Thanks so much for everyones help!!

Really appreciate it!
Gordy
G_Don is offline   Reply With Quote