View Single Post
Old 07-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
ndnchf

Default Just bought my first T!

I've been looking for a T that suits me for a couple months. Everytime I found one I liked it was either in Timbuktu, out of my price range or the seller changed his mind. But last week a '23 touring car came up locally by a respected member of the model T hobby who is retiring. I arranged to go look at it and was immediately smitten. While the body is best described as a nice driver, the entire drivetrain has been competely rebuilt and the car has been on many tours. It runs like a top and drives straight and true with no undo shakes, noises or other scary attributes. I was looking for a good driver, not a show car and this fit the bill perfectly.

It came home with me today along with a pickup load of spare parts, including a Ruckstell and Bill Tharp hydraulic disc brake kit. After I get it licensed I'll start learning to drive it on my quiet residential street. It only has the transmission brake (no Rocky Mountains etc) and parking brake. While I've had a model A before and other antique cars and motorcycles, I've never driven a T, so this is a new learning experience for me. For safety and confidence I am seriously thinking about installing the disc brake kit right away. I'm not a speedy kind of guy, I'm quite happy to putt along at 25-35 mph and I realize the disc brakes don't give me a license to fly, but I will feel a lot safer with them and so will my wife. I just joined the MTFCA and emailed another local T club guy to get connected with other locals.

I'd be happy to hear any advice and words of wisdom as I embark on a new adventure. Also, I'd like to hear from others who have installed the disc brake kit.

Here's a photos of it.
Thanks,
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1002222.jpg (105.6 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg P1002224.jpg (91.4 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg P1002225.jpg (94.9 KB, 96 views)
ndnchf is offline   Reply With Quote