View Single Post
Old 09-21-2020, 03:08 PM   #22
Joe K

Default Re: Posting this for a chuckle, unless you're grumpy, in which case you may hate it

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrs1961815 View Post
This is the problem with online auction places like Ebay. A lot of people think that just because something is old means it is worth a lot of money. Then another person sees the past auction and it is just a chain reaction.
A lot of sellers follow the rationale "I'm not sure what its worth so I'll price it high to be sure I don't get taken."

Problem with this is as soon as someone offers a more reasonable amount - this is obviously someone trying to "take me." All bid alternates thus become "suspect."

Generally I view such sellers as those to avoid since they obviously think little of me or my judgment - or fairness.

I'm like any other buyer. I like a deal. To me it makes perfect sense as a seller to "price a little high" in the expectation that offers might be somewhat less, and sometimes merely the satisfaction of a self-generated "buy well offer" is enough to carry the deal.

My last wheel purchase was on Craigslist locally. Four wheels, two with tires and held air and paint was "chipped" much as these were. The other two were originals "unrestored" but certain could be brought to restored condition. Ask was $125 but I got all four for $100.

Roll-around wheels. They will need more work before they go on the road.

The best part of the deal was the conversation with the seller who enjoyed driving his Model A and hear of his experiences with local restoration vendors.

Joe K