View Single Post
Old 05-26-2014, 06:55 AM   #14
Mart

Default Re: 12 volt positive earth 46 coupe

There are a lot of threads on the subject. Turn the battery round. Connect the battery cables. You might need to change the terminals as they are different sizes. Then you need to polarise the generator. Google it, I don't want to give duff info. (It involves flashing a wire across some terminals on the regulator - I think - google it).

You might need to reverse the terminals on your coil. not sure.

That's all that is involved. I don't think using a 6V generator on 12V is a good way to do it - again, google it, it can work, but you don't get the output you would with a proper 12V converted generator.

I have converted generators using a mix and match of old and later generator parts - it's all well documented - google is your friend.

Make sure all the bulbs have been switched over to 12V alternatives. You can use reducers or modern voltage regulators (electronic parts that cost pennys) to power the gauges.

Most importantly, do some research. Lots of info out there. If you can't find a specific answer to a question, just ask, but it is better to search for the info yourself than to just expect it to be handed on a plate for you.

Mart.

Last edited by Mart; 05-26-2014 at 07:01 AM.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote