View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #12
drscott

Default Re: Wheels / Powder Coating vs. Painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I think with pc you get what you pay for. Ive seen cheap pc that didnt make it longer than a couple months without flacking off. But ive also seen a lot of pc last many years without chipping. I think a common misconception with pc is that it wont chip which is false. It can chip just as easily as paint does.

At work, we just had a set of wheels pc for a coupe we painted. It was the first set we had sent out in many years because the last set chipped off right away. But we went to a guy here in fort worth who has done many many sets for model a people over the past couple years, and they always turn out nice. For $75 a wheel they got sand blasted and pc. We chose to do it this way, because we couldnt find a company to sand blast them for less than $50 a wheel and by the time you add up labor and paint cost, your looking at about $100 a wheel at least for paint. So pc is often more cost effective.
Logan, thanks for your reply. One question I have for you since it sounds like you may be in the industry that paints Model As. Does the car or truck in my case have to be fully taken apart to paint? IM sure that would be best, but I bought this truck a couple weeks ago. Id say on a scale of 1 to 10 the paint is maybe a 5 or 6. So Im chatting with friend that owns a body shop and does top notch work. He informs me that the truck should be taken apart to do the best job. I will never show this truck, we will drive it and have fun with it. But I got the truck worth the money, and it did surprize me when he told me that. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
drscott is offline   Reply With Quote