View Single Post
Old 07-08-2019, 06:58 AM   #6
bigd1101

Default Re: Dip stick use question

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Don, the underlying intent is the oil has settled back to the crankcase after the engine has sat idle for a period (-typically overnight). Prior to engine operation, the driver would check all engine fluid levels, and would open the hood and remove the dipstick to verify the oil in the pan was within safe operating limits before starting the engine. Because the engine was designed to be operated with the dipstick fully inserted (-squeezed together and fully inserted on your application), it stands to reason the level markings are designed to read correctly when the 'oil level indicator' (-correct name for dip stick) is fully inserted.

On a side note, it has been my experience that there are no adverse effects if the oil level is one quart overfull or under full. If someone has shared with you otherwise, there likely is some other issue creating the problem and not the actual oil level.

Hi Brent, I did some searching on an old Barn thread and sure enough, the stick has to be squeezed at the handle and inserted fully as you say to get the correct read. I also read that the A's are happy as you say, a quart low or a quart high, with the higher level leaking out somewhere if the car is parked on a steep incline ( too funny) so I guess the answer is....make sure there is oil in the car and change it often if there is no filter. Love the car and it's simplicity and forgiveness on certain functions......and finally after a year of chasing and correcting the overheating problem, driving the car yesterday in the country, where I live.

Don
bigd1101 is offline   Reply With Quote