View Single Post
Old 12-27-2017, 04:42 PM   #3
Dick Carne

Default Re: To a or not to a

Part of the appeal of an original Model A is that it is an antique, and although they are capable of driving long distances, they do perhaps require a different mindset than a lot of folks may be comfortable with; conversely, because of their age and relatively primitive mechanicals, most Model A owners will therefore more often than not elect to travel more back roads which in turn generally provide more panoramic views and more leisurely drives than most folks would get otherwise. And because they do have comparatively simple mechanicals, most folks are able to keep their cars running and on the roads themselves. Once you have accepted these differences, then the enjoyment of a more leisurely drive through less congested areas is one that might not otherwise be chosen with a more contemporary car, or with an antique with a somewhat contemporary running gear and/or drive components. To me, I personally enjoy driving the back roads and traveling at a slower pace that consequently allows me to take in more of the local scenery, and generally enjoy the trip much more than I might if I were to have driven a car with a more contemporary mechanical driveline along busier roads at a higher rate of speed. Furthermore, most other Model A hobbyists that I have had the privilege to meet and get to know, are some of the nicest folks that I could ever hope to claim as friends. While I think that this is largely the case with most "car guys", I still feel a closer and more caring personal connection with Model A folks. I doubt that I would have met a lot of these folks if I had a modified car.

As for the Cabriolet, the majority of these (68A & B) are indeed largely wooden body frames with sheet metal facings, similar to most fordors. Even the 68C (late 1931) has wooden body sills, door posts, seat surround, etc. But for an all-round tour/driving car, the Cabriolet may arguably have one of the best overall appeals for all seasons given the convertible top and roll-up windows. Over the years, I have been fortunate to have acquired a roadster, phaeton, Town Sedan, and recently a 68C Cabriolet. They each have their strong points, but it is my plan to restore the Cabriolet as more of a year-round tour car given those attributes I referenced above.

From your remarks, I wonder if one of the Shay roadsters from the late '70's/ early '80's might be a good alternative. Regardless, my best wishes to you as you consider your options.
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote