View Single Post
Old 04-22-2020, 04:15 PM   #5
Joe K

Default Re: Problem installing distributor

Did you replace the oil pump/distributor drive gear with a new unit?
These come both as parts - and as a completed unit. Either might have a defect of the gear shaft too long.

Have you noted that the "cut" in the extension shaft is a little "off center?" Likewise the bottom tang of the distributor shaft. I have both of these parts in my hand from a reputable vendor and they are made this way for a reason. Also I expect the distributor/oil pump gear is similar. This is done purposely, and matches how your "tang" should fit into the "socket." Although the parts MAY go together 180 degrees out depending on slop or wear. (I have even seen little slips of leather on used parts.)

This should not but MAY have an impact on your assembly.

One wants to assemble the top end of the motor first - since this is the part that "counts" - and let the oil pump find its place after everything above it is in place and tested. That is - lest the oil pump be pushing up on everything above it. You may have to drop the oil pan to get to this point as moving the engine/cam/distributor gear to be sure of proper engagement of the pump may be laborious at best.

Some suggestions.

Heh. I see above that many minds think alike...

Well, you have consensus on your side...

Joe K