View Single Post
Old 09-17-2019, 09:07 PM   #32
Ranchero50

Lightbulb Re: Newbie '29 Speedster project, the good the bad and even the ugly (maybe)

Some pics of this week's fun. I needed to make a stepped subframe similar to the original so the floorboards were narrower than the body. The first picture shows the progression from a simple stepped bend that didn't fit to a taller part to the final test bent part.

I chose to go with a 8" tall kick panel so I have something substantial to rivet the firewall and dash hoop structures to. I'll cut away the excess as the form is developed further.

The third pic shows the subrails mocked in place. For final construction I plan on putting a line of rivets along the bottom of the body to the angle and kick panel and then another line an inch or so higher into the kick panel and subrail. The rails won't be installed before the first row of rivets. This is kind of like a real life game of Tetris.

Yesterday I bent up a storage compartment for under the seat. The goal being to have a spot to store a cover and some stuff. I might make another spot opposite the battery for the jack and tools.

Finally I spent some time this evening bending up the metal floor between the seat and the main cross member. I also bent up a support structure for under it. I ran out of time to get pics and have another 11 hour work day tomorrow.

Last big chunk of the floor structure is designing / building the firewall base.

Hopefully everyone can see the pics now. I have a ton more of the chassis resurrection but we are kind of beyond that now.
Ranchero50 is offline   Reply With Quote