View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
41ford1

Default Slightly OT '53 six issue

Ran the '53 Six cylinder Courier to the Florida Bash via the AutoTrain. We ran in to the problem of misfire and popping in the exhaust at highway speeds. This condition got progressively worse coming home. I went though a few steps on the trip from Lorton, VA to New Hampshire. First was a carb cleanout before we left Lorton. Second was a change of plug wires and plugs just north of Baltimore. Both of these "fixes" made it run better for a while. The misfire/popping returned in north New Jersey. I noticed the distributor cap was quite dirty. Cleaned it with carb cleaner and tightened the cam cover. The misfire and popping went away until the Conn./Mass. border. When the timing was checked with a light the day after getting home it was bouncing around 2° to 12° at idle. There was also a new noise at the front of the engine. I figured I might have a worn timing chain. The attached pic shows the chain. The slack side measures slightly over 1/2". With the crank held the cam moves about 20°. Pics of the replacement will follow if you guys want it. Post here if you do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 215 timing chain.jpg (311.8 KB, 67 views)
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote