View Single Post
Old 11-13-2019, 08:45 AM   #16
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: Tranny info and test?

Hey Ian: As noted, pull the top first - inspect it carefully for any signs of chipped/broken teeth, etc.. If it was mine, I would go through it from end-to-end . . . it is really a simple process (much easier than building an engine) and you'll learn a lot.

Buy the transmission book from Mac VanPelt - it can help you a lot (though it tends to concentrate a bit more on the later transmissions). The transmission you have is definitely a 32 transmission - not quite as good as later versions (39 - 48), but still very usable if you set it up correctly, learn how to double-clutch to get it back in low, etc.. Also, it has the unique to 32' features of the bolt-on bosses for the hand brake and the mounting location for the stop-light switch (which is on it).

Keep in mind that bearings, bearing quality, thrust clearances and worn parts replacement are key. A lot of these transmissions were driven hard, with poor maintenance and dirty gear lube - resulting in wear to critical bearings and surfaces.

You really want to know the shape of the main cluster shaft, the cluster bearings, the main drive shaft front bearing surface, the front/back roller bearings and all thrust surfaces - they need to all be in spec (hopefully on the low-end of the spec).

You should be able to find all the parts you need to rebuild it - starting with Mac VanPelt. It does not take special tools or a huge amount of time to go through one of these - and NOW is the time to do it! As DavidG noted, you can't easily remove this transmission once it is in the car --- when I have this need, I have to pull the complete engine and transmission to work on the transmission . . . not a fun job!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote