View Single Post
Old 01-08-2015, 04:30 PM   #7
OLD...BILL

Default Re: Master cylinder conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heard View Post
Tom,
I recently went through this. The only 1 1/16" mc I found was from Wilwood. Unfortunately, it just didn't move enough fluid to work correctly and I ended up using a 1 1/8" one from Summit.

When I say 'correctly', I spent a lot of time studying how a mc works and what is SUPPOSED to happen if one circuit fails. So, while the 1 1/6" mc worked OK under normal circumstances, it would NOT work in the event of a failure of either front or rear brakes. There was just not enough pedal travel in my '36.

IMO, I think the 1 1/8" one works great. The pedal effort/travel is fine for me.

But Mart is correct. Plumbing is a nightmare all to itself. I spent a lot of time on the Net and at the local parts houses trying to get all the fittings I needed. It was not fun.

Heard
HEY TOM: Your going the wrong way ... the bigger bore MC. "softer peddle" and much less pressure at the wheel cylinder and "not better stopping" ...I assume not what you want ?? ..so you need to move more fluid ?? need to adjust the breaks CLOSER to the drum ?? .... some years ago I went through this with a VW dunn buggie, much bigger engine and tires and class body... could not stop it, running hard out in the sand.... was told by the big engine builders to go to a smaller MC.... use one off a VW transpotter ?? it was smaller buy ?? MM ?? and boy did it work....I could lock up big tires on the street ?? woo hoo , could not believe it.
So when you get it all built ie " smaller MC. adapter plate, and pluming fittings made " please send all info with drawings in detail, and all parts numbers..ect...... thanks ..........OLD...........BILL
OLD...BILL is offline   Reply With Quote