View Single Post
Old 10-14-2017, 05:37 PM   #38
Ted Duke

Default Re: Some Hershey Observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean from bozeman View Post
leo, i totally agree with you. I'd rather go see a game. I'd rather go to hershey than sit in a chair and look at ebay though the lord knows that i have done my share of buying on ebay!

To measure hershey by just considering buying and selling is missing some big benefits:

1. The exchange of information, be it how to do something when restoring a vehicle or just keeping it running, is invaluable.

2. The face to face meeting of someone you have communicated with, bought something from over the internet (including fordbarn) or have a friend in common should not be underestimated.

3. Learning the differences between parts from a friend or even a seller can help immensely when you want your vehicle to look and/or run correctly.

4. I'd rather see a part in person than rely on photos from a seller on the internet. When selling via the internet i always ask if the potential buyer would like to see more photos or photos of a particular part of the item that is for sale. However, seeing a part in person can tell you immediately if it is worth the price or you should pass.

5. On ebay the price goes up as the auction goes on. Sometimes the final price reveals a bargain. Sometimes not. At a swap meet you can bundle and bargain.

6. What kid didn't like to hunt for easter eggs and candy? Finding a part that you or a friend needs is a wonderful experience.

7. When you walk up and down the aisles at hershey you hear a lot of laughing. Good old laughter truly is a salve of life.

8. Dreams start, continue and can end at swap meets like hershey. Whether it's the car corral or the isolated vehicle, dreams can start when you see the right one. I saw and bought a495 in the old green field. Dreams can continue when you find the right parts or find someone to do the correct job. Dreams can end when you see a sold sign. But as dusk for some is dawn for others (depends on your perspective relative to the sun), a seller's dream ends at the same time as a buyer's dream begins.

9. There is also sadness at hershey. This time, when talking to a good friend, i found out about the passing of jerry dewitt. I wandered aimless for a while. It felt like i was kicked in the gut. I passed the spaces that used to belong to friends doc kalinka and steve ciccalone. Dave frazier also told me that this would be his last hershey. Soon an auction will send his entire parts and memorabilia collection to various buyers. Time changes many things.

10. There is also hope for a new generation of car enthusiasts. As i sat at gary johnson's space, there were a few times when younger guys stopped by for parts and/or advice. There are numerous younger people walking among the swap spaces with parents and grandparents.

You know it is easy to come up with reasons for not attending. I could have said, "a495 is done what do i need to go to hershey for?". But then i wouldn't have found parts needed by friends in the hobby. I would not have seen barn finds covered with dust and hay. I would not have laughed with friends as we shared dinner or enjoyed a few beers with them.

Leo, i'm with you. Attend the game. Attend the meet. Attend the swap, rally, show or whatever.

When at hershey i told my buddy, tim kelly, it was great to see him and his reply was, 'better to be seen than viewed'. So true.
amen!
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote