View Single Post
Old 10-12-2017, 02:44 PM   #3
fred93

Default Re: 30 coupe steering box question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
(1) In the past, I have had to remove the steering column and adjust the eccentric rivet facing the frame rail (almost impossible to do with the unit still mounted to the frame). This is the infamous 4th adjustment addressed in the service bulletins. That slot-head rivet is normally in the straight up and down position, but if someone has moved it, that will cause the problem you are experiencing. If you have followed the three usual adjustment steps and are still experiencing binding in the center position, that would be my guess.
(2) Alternately, if someone put in a new sector, but not a new worm gear and didn't adjust this rivet, that would cause binding in mid-travel while trying to adjust out slop. Ford recommended adjusting this eccentric rivet whenever a new worm and sector were installed. Do you know the history of your friend's restoration? Receipts for parts and/or work performed?
Marshall
Unfortunately I don't have any history. But I did run into several problems with other systems when I first started working on it. For instance, the right rear brake rod was never connected to brake on that wheel. Also, someone has welded the front wishbone to the axle and the perches look like they were welded to the wishbone (but I would need to check into that more). The front perches look like they were badly worn and someone just replaced the bushings and put everything back together. Butchers at work!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front perch.jpg (82.9 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg front radius rod.jpg (73.1 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg front spring nuts 2.jpg (90.7 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg top leaves front spring.jpg (53.3 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg front spring.jpg (50.9 KB, 79 views)
fred93 is offline   Reply With Quote