View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014, 06:27 PM   #60
Vanspeed

Default Re: how can we get the youth to be come involed in our hobby?

I am 35 and have owned 7 Model A's now, only keeping my jewel that I bought from Neil Mylar who is a member here and passing on the rest as I get them finished. Neil sold me my 29 coupe back in 09 and aside from putting 35 wire wheels on it and a 39 transmission, it is bone stock. I drive it everywhere. I like them stock and I like them as a hot rod but I would never take an original car and tear it apart. If I was going to build a rod, I would start with something that has been passed on by restorers because it is too rough.

Simply put, most kids these days do not want to do slow. There are a few though like myself that are around but the number is small. I do agree however that the prices for A's seems to be going up or atleast the people trying to sell them are asking way too much. I looked at a 31 coupe this past fall and it was a bone stocker but both rear wheel wells were cut out and it needed a fair bit of work. 12k was the lowest he would go.

Just because it is an 85 year old model A does not mean it is worth gold and I think more younger guys would get involved if they could afford it. I was lucky and Neil sold me a great car for a great price. I actually get made fun of often by younger people, asking me if it will go over 40 miles an hour and things of that nature. I think there will always be a following but it is getting smaller.