View Single Post
Old 11-28-2011, 06:12 PM   #32
Vic Piano

Default Re: 1935-36 pickup restoration book

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
I don't know the specifics of why this project was stopped, but the V-8 Club has to consider projects on a cost -benefit analysis. Even though the Club is non-profit the BOD has an obligation to be frugal with the Club's money. Losing money on a project that may only benefit a few members is not good management of members money. I suspect that they looked at this project for some time and discovered that by the time the book was completed in draft, taken to a desktop publisher, and then to the printer, these related costs would far exceed the amount of projected sales. I would bet if they thought the project would break even on cost vs sales they would have proceeded. Breaking even is an option, losing money is not. It's better to stop a project than to move forward and lose more money.
In my opinion the narrrow scope (35-36 only) of this book would appeal only to a small number people. Had the book included the 37-39 pickups it would have appealed to a wider audience. As an example the Club's 38-39 book started out as a 38 book only. Obviously this book would not have sold enough books to break even. The BOD then included the 39 cars and the book became a good seller. Had they included the 37 cars it would have been a bigger seller. In the real world not every project becomes a reality.
If you are passionate about this book I would suggest that you publish it yourselves. Just be aware of the costs. If you are willing to take the gamble go for it. Just for info anything you publish concerning the Ford Motor Company has to be reviewed by the legal department at Ford Motor Company. This is a "must do" on your part or you will find yourself in court and all your efforts will go down in flames.
For those of you that want to see the book published you might consider helping these two out with some monetary donations. It's not cheap to bring a book to print and if you want the book to be a reality it will take a large sum of money to "get er done".
Let me preface my remarks by saying that I am no longer a member of the EFV8 Club, after 30+ years, I did not renew my membership, for reasons unrelated to this post.

I agree with most of what you said however, if (as was said) the BOD of the EFV8 Club gave the "go ahead" for the book, it would appear that they did not do their due diligence prior to giving the green light? I know that Lawson in particular has been working on this book for a long time and I doubt that he, or anyone else, would spend time and money with no expectation of having the information made available through the EFV8 Club, especially if that was the initial understanding. It’s too bad that this happened, whatever the reason(s), as it may serve to decrease the enthusiasm on the part of others that might have considered doing something similar that would benefit the clubs members in the future. Vic