Thread: The Latest Scam
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2019, 12:34 PM   #8
frank55a

Default Re: The Latest Scam

For me the first clue to a scam was "I cannot contact them directly because they are in basic training in Georgia." was the use of "they" and "them" i.e, more than 1 person, sounds fishy.

Second, "they are in basic training in Georgia" sounds like military boot camp to me. I know the military have gotten pay raises since I was in, but even with the raises there is no way a recruit could consider paying for your Phaeton. Your price is probably 10 to 20 times a recruit's annual pay.

I would not have looked at it any further.

Thanks for posting this.

A couple years ago when I sold my 28 Phaeton I also got a couple calls that sounded fishy. One in particular I was skeptical about from the start but figured I would see where it went. The red flag went up when he said he would have his accountant send me a check for half, then 3 days later I get an e-mail saying this was moving quicker than he expected and that the truck would be there early the following week to pick up the Phaeton. With that, I figured with no question it was a scam and I am sure that most of you that reads this also would think the same. But I thought I would take it one step further, so that Monday I called the police in his town told them the story and told them that I did not want to offend the person if it was real but on the other hand if it was a scam the real person should know someone was using his name to run a scam. The office said he knew the buyer personally and it sounded like something he would do but he would contact the buyer to check it out. About an hour later I received a call back from the police, he said he talked to the buyer said it was legitimate i.e., he wanted the Phaeton and was not offended. About an hour later I got a call from the buyer, said the police contacted him, he was not offended and he wanted the phaeton. Everything worked out great for all parties and he was very happy with the Phaeton.

Last edited by frank55a; 10-04-2019 at 01:56 PM.
frank55a is offline   Reply With Quote