Thread: Stock Temp
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #8
G.M.

Default Re: Stock Temp

Fibber the stock temperature gauges all vary. You need to get a laser pointed thermometer to find the correct temperature of the water in both sides of the engine. The radiator temperature is NOT the way to check it and you don't want to take the cap off when the coolant is hot. Both sides of the engine are completely separate cooling systems not connected in the engine and each side has it's own pump. The water of both sides only mixes when it is in the radiator so the radiator temperature is a mixture of both sides. Take the temperatures on both sides in the center of the head on the metal just below the radiator hoses. Both temperatures should be within a few degrees of each other at all times. If not the hot side has a problem and in most cases is a slight compression leak which can usually be corrected with a bottle of Barrs stop leak. It is normal for these engines to run hotter in warmer weather in traffic than driveing at 35 or 40 MPH do to poor supply of air from the fan. When they do get warm in traffic they should come back down to what is normal for your car in about 1 mile. Once you see the temperature with the laser look at the panel gauge and you will know what you have when looking at the gauge driveing. These guns run in the $30.00 range and are very useful for other things also. I just bought a brand new Raytec on ebay for $12.00 last week. I go through Callahan on my short cut to I-75. G.M.