View Single Post
Old 11-24-2011, 07:27 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Model A Parts That Never Changed Throughout Production

Great thought-provoking question!!

Yes, Tom is correct, ...and top rests were initially brass before stainless, and recently as a bystander in a conversation between JSC members Don Bivens & Jerry Lyons, they were looking at an original muffler assy and pointed out detail differences between early & late mufflers, ....so I would say that one is a "no go" too. Motor mounts had revisions, and the deck/rumble lids have revisions too.

While I realize this 'exercise' is not for everyone, I find it REALLY interesting to go to the archives at Bensen and look at old drawings. It is 'wild' to look at an old Assembly Drawing that has several sub-components drawn and then go to that specific part number in the box and see all of the revisions that were made on that little sub-component. In some cases there are Engineering Releases outlining the chronological order of the changes. Often times I found the Engineers would redraw/re-engineer an entire assembly just to change the bolt hole size or the location by just a slight amount.

For example, on a recent trip up to the archives I was looking at 28/29 front fenders and I think I found where there were 7 different variations of a front fender used during production on the 1928-29 passenger cars alone. When you take this same mindset and apply it throughout the entire vehicle, it is mind boggling to think about the effort it took to convey to the engineers that a change needed to happen (for whatever reason), then have the item redrawn (w/o any type of C.A.D.) and then prototyped to ensure it works as needed, and then all of the re-tooling time/costs (at all locations!) to impliment that change ....all for the sake of streamlining production efficiency or costs!! (Remember this was being done for the owner of an automobile company who reportedly didn't like change!!)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote