View Single Post
Old 11-01-2019, 01:26 AM   #14
fortyonerag

Default Re: 6 volt turn signals ????

I installed flashers on my 41 after having problems (particularly at night) with other drivers not understanding my intentions. The car is 6V positive earth.

I used a commonly available 12V turn signal unit. The wire gauge does not seem to be problem with the load. The turn signal units seem (at least those I have seen) to come in 7 wire and 5 wire units. The 7 wire units are configured to provide flashing brake lights. The 5 wire units are used when you have discrete lamps to flash. The connection diagrams will come with whichever unit you select.

If you are running positive earth you will need a compatible positive earth flasher can. I used a BV535 3 prong flasher can. You can use two prong cans, but there is a little extra wiring to be done for the pilot light.

I have flashing brake lights in the rear. In the front I replaced the single element park light globe holder with a two element globe holder (like brake lights) and have a discrete flashers. This way I still have park lights, but the car looks stock.
fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote