Thread: Flathead filter
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #28
36tbird

Default Re: Flathead filter

Good call (again!), Jack. Sump screen plugged up would ruin your whole day.

I remember a '39 Ford that my dad bought where we poured kerosene in the crank and ran it to loosen up the sludge to drain. I got the assignment to remove the drain plug so I was on my back expecting the usual slosh and splash of oil draining as you removed those big plugs so I did the final twist and pulled back. Even after the kerosene run, nothing came out! I stuck my finger in the hole only to feel solid sludge. I had to use a screw driver to poke a hole in the stuff to get something to finally drain out.

On my PCV set up. I've got it all mocked up and I think it will be really cool. I need to make a rear vent pipe piece, the one that goes down from the fuel pump base mount into the boss around the pump rod base. Measuring one from a '36, it is about 1.725 OD but all I could find is some 1 3/4" OD exhaust tubing. So, I will have to shave that just a little and it should fit. Anyway, with the discussion we had here on the Barn about it, I think we can say a collaborative effort was used to design a PCV setup for a 59A that will not diminish the engine's vacuum. Mine will not be completely hidden away like the ones under the manifolds, but will be very "attractively functional".
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote