View Single Post
Old 12-13-2019, 01:25 PM   #1
19Fordy

Default Mallory Unilite Distributor HELP requested.

I converted my Mallory YL 2527501 dual point distributor to a Unilite using Kit # 558. It worked fine for a few years but as of late it has been giving me lots of trouble. The car runs great for about a 1/2 mile, then shuts off and dies. Will restart and then die again. This is repeated 1/2 mile at a time. I am thinking that I may have the incorrect ignition components. Fuel delivery system is fine. It's driving me nuts and costing me bucks.

Here's the specifics of what I am currently using:

Engine : Stock 1953 Ford flat head 239 cu. in. engine with a Holley 390 carb.
Car: 1940 Ford
Plug Wires:Taylor 8mm Spiro Wound spark Plug Wire for electronic ignitions
Module: Mallory 605
Surge Protector: MAA-29351
Ballast Resistor: M-700
Coil: Mallory 29216

If you are running an 8BA with a Unilite set up I sure would appreciate it if you would tell me what specific components you are using that work properly.

An internet search results in tons of various answers but, nothing conclusive. Therefore your help is requested. Thanks, JIM
Today 12/13/19 the Mallory Tech support fellow told me to use the following:
Mallory Coil #29219 (1.4 primary ohms)
Mallory Ballast resistor # 8214 ( .8 ohms)
Mallory Current guard protector # 29371 (This is a different part # than mine.)

He also said:

“The Unilite module will last longer if you run a ballast, it’s your choice on whether you want to run it or not, I can only make the suggestion. The Mallory coil has a primary resistance of 1.4 ohms of resistance. The Mallory module needs at least 2 ohms of resistance for it to function correctly. 1.4 +.8 will give you 2.2 ohms of resistance. A Mallory module needs to run at about 6 amps."

I think there are some Fordbarners who are using a Unilite with their 8BA.

All feedback is welcome. PS: Yes , I know there are some folks who say "go back to points". Thanks, JIM
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote