View Single Post
Old 04-01-2016, 02:44 PM   #177
GB SISSON

Default Re: Truck based woody

I have seen pictures of that cornbinder. It is really beautiful and a great example of a truck based woodie. I almost went with a tonner as I have a few around here, but I was thinking more in terms of some weekend outings with my wife, and while she doesn't have a problem with my truck collecting she doesn't seem to enjoy trips in the tonner panel. It's quite noisy inside with the square cut gears and extremely truck like in all regards. This will be my first half ton in 44 years of owning many vintage ford trucks.... My 3 speed light duty transmission arrived at Fastenal and I picked it up on Tuesday. It seems to be in excellent shape and rolls through the gears smoothly. I also dug up some old door latches I had bought a while back at second hand store. I knew they would be perfect for this project. Maybe not the easiest to reach and unlatch from the inside of the vehicle, but the woodie parts specialty houses get 450.00 per latch for an original. These are new old stock and made in Chicago and they fit the 3/8 shaft for the ford handle. I have completed the door mock-ups and now I'm itchy to bust out the last of my 3x8 maple and get a start on the actual doors, but we are extremely busy in the shop. At least I have a rather complete 'Hollywood Set' side view to look down at from the cabinet shop. Thank you for all the nice comments I have received.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mt pickett wagon co 023.JPG (141.9 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg mt pickett wagon co 029.JPG (128.1 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg mt pickett wagon co 038.JPG (133.4 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg latches and jb door 001.JPG (125.6 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg latches and jb door 003.JPG (136.1 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg latches and jb door 004.JPG (126.9 KB, 61 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote