View Single Post
Old 03-14-2015, 11:02 PM   #11
39topless

Default Re: Head Studs or bolts, which is better ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32phil View Post
IMHO Studs are the right way to go for a flathead. Ford used studs because of the ability to tighten the heads properly. The coarse threads will not allow the proper torque as a fine thread will. That's why studs have a fine end and a coarse end. A stud will not "bottom out" in the block as a bolt can (the coarse threads are too short) and leave the head "loose". The studs are designed to tighten into the block(coarse end) and then allow the nut to tighten down the head( that's why the fine threads extend well into the head). I know many engines use head bolts however this is the explanation I was given several times when the topic came up about Ford Blocks/heads/studs vs. bolts
Exactly, excellent answer. No need to beat this thing any farther. Regarding removing the heads if using studs, I've found the reason it's sometimes difficult to pull the loose head up off the engine is due to the studs not being screwed in straight and are thus binding on the walls of the holes in the head. I've found a remedy. First, identify the problem studs. Then, on each guilty stud, replace the nut a few turns and "center" the stud in the hole with a whack or two from a hammer. Now the studs will not bind in the holes (or is it the other way around?) and the head will come off very easily. Juice it up with a squirt of WD40 in each hole for good measure.
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote