View Single Post
Old 02-25-2020, 11:00 PM   #36
Clem Clement

Default Re: new bottom radiator hose leaking

YAHOO. Thanks all. Great friends of Fordbarn!!

Let me tell the rest of the story: A few years back a couple of clubbers got a call that a free '38 dump truck needed to be stripped of goodies and removed. They got the dash and lots of parts(No fun as the truck was buried in the sticker-bushes.) I was asked what I was asked and the answer was the big generator and the fan should. Yes the Model A started with shrouds and apparently the working flatheads has one as well. I got cleaned up, straightened and painted and waited for another day. My middle son visited during my heart procedure last fall and offered to fix something. Weeehoooo. Turns out the repo radiator was previously installed leaning backward Guesses were that longer upper hoses were too short or the top brace rods were too short. Anyway lots of air went around the radiator, not thru. I could not do any work to the happiness of son Joe and he moved the rad to near vertical. Rad duct tape finished it off. We also had to replace the hoses as the hose fitting area for the heater was bad.
Oh, did I mention that I had two uuuugly horns under the front end. One had been on my 41 Ford coupe as a youngster. That sucker is loud and more than once it fooled a big trucker thinking I was a big truck. Thus there is relays, horn wire etc. near the bottom on driver's side.

I slopped the Indianhead shellac on the radiator open ends and tried to set the clamps. The original problem showed itself. The clamp bolt was the longest I could find. it caught in the clamp allowing the nut to be outside the holding tab. Thus the nut would spin and not tighten (it did bind in the threads rubbing the clamp edge.

Fixing that and things tightened up. Water in probably tomorrow.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote